Monday, August 17, 2009

Skeletons in the closet...

Note: For all following my blog on Facebook you can read older posts and make comments on my main blog site at www.blogspot.danzsyco.com thanks for all the support and on to today's blog...

Spring Cleaning is sooo overrated! Ok so maybe it is just that I haven't gotten to spring cleaning until now hee hee - end of summer cleaning?? Pre - Fall cleaning? Well either way let's talk about your closet and all the crazy things that may be lurking in there. When I moved I unfortunately moved with ALL of my junk and good clothes as well and have just now gotten to organizing. I'm sure you have treasures from times past - those neon green sunglasses and those scrunchy socks or long t - shirts you used to tie on the side - I got your number child of the 80s!! Or if you are not that much of a pack rat I'm sure there are clothes in there that you haven't seen or worn in months! Or maybe you are holding onto that old t-shirt or sweater your ex left at your house...uh huh ;) In most cases our eyes tend to be much bigger than our closets. I just purged clothes I had from college - eeek I graduated in 2003 so I was holding on to some real treasures! Well actually some had sentimental value but what's the point if you're never going to wear it again - take a picture or journal about it, it is better for you and your closet if you finally unload this stuff - trust me! It is freeing too - maybe it's a good point to move away from your past and into the future - a jumping off point! It can be fun :)

Here are some "green" things I'm doing - I am going to be making yoga totes out of some of my jeans - if they are nice enough I will sell them - so not only reusing and recycling but making some dough on the side and hopefully making something handy for a fellow Yogi :) I have sentimental attachments to lots of my junk but I am finding ways to slowly but surely get rid of stuff and find ways to still keep the memories... here is another good one - I am taking my old t-shirts that have sayings or dates on them that I loved and making quilts out of them! How great is that? Super snugly t-shirt quilts that will be warm AND I get to keep my memories in a much more useful way :) If you would like to do this but aren't crafty, these guys do it for you http://www.tshirtquilts.com/ and the proceeds will go to help the deaf and hard of hearing. Or If you want to do it yourself this website offers instructions GooseTracks or maybe you have a crafty grandma that will help! Plus then you get some quality g-ma time.

The other thing I'm doing besides making cool stuff out of my junk is taking the rest of the clothes that are in good condition to a cool local consignment shop called My Sister's Closet - they have locations in and around Phoenix, AZ. The things that are too out of date but are still nice I will take to Goodwill, and finally the last of the stuff - the waaaay loved or just old and ugly will be turned into cleaning and garage rags.

The inspiration for purging the closet was from Making it Lovely's website and a website similar to mine It's Frugal Being Green. The one thing that is always organized is my closet - everything by color and type - my goal by next year is to not have one item of clothing that isn't flattering or that I love. I believe the less is more approach works. No mindless shopping - have a list and more importantly have a list of must have items - clothing basics that every person should have, the foundation to build your wardrobe on. If you are totally clueless go to Missus Smarty Pants - you can subscribe to her service and she will recommend clothes based on your body type. She also has great closet purge and organizing instructions on her site as well.

Soooo toss the old crap - er um treasures from your closet and maybe some part of your old life as well - you don't have to forget the good times but just the act of recycling or reusing or consigning these items - may help to propel you forward into the future and leave those old skeletons behind. It feels incredibly refreshing, plus for you shoppers you may now find some gaps you have in your closet for basics you do need and can go replace them!! However try this new rule of thumb - when one item comes into the closet one must go out. It will stop the avalanche and prevent the keeping of super outdated clothing for sentimental purposes. Happy purging people!

amore y paz

No comments:

Post a Comment